Nasty fix for an ingrown toenail

Runtime: 9:07
YT: Vandenbos procedure for ingrown toenails
Poster: flydochc
This is a long term fix for constant ingrown toenails. A bit excessive if you ask me, but if it works, it works.

20 Comments on “Nasty fix for an ingrown toenail

1. OMG! brutal surgery!! I cringed felt the first shot into the toe!! I would need to be knocked out. oh the throbbing the first night.

2. ultraworld says:

I went to a podiatrist to get an ingrown toenail fixed. He told me about this “procedure” called vandenbros (or something like this) He showed me a video. I went home, got the diagonals out. cut that beast out.

3. thedude814 says:

Butcher. No need to remove that much healthy tissue!!

4. lovelooking says:

Yikes! When it comes to feet I have a hard time enjoying anything. Interesting, but hard for me to watch.

5. Wow. Just Wow!

6. Fascinating to watch, but I was squirming in my chair!! I can just imagine how bad this must have hurt after the numbing medicine wore off!! I would need major pain meds afterwards for weeks I’m sure!! Toes and fingers always seem to hurt the worst! (Ears and teeth do too)! YIKESS! I did love watching this one though!

7. I had chronic ingrown toenail, they just cut off the last 1/8″ of nail, that caused all the problems, then he killed the root of that 1/8″ so it couldn’t grow back.
    It’s been at least ten years. It worked great.

8. very interesting! I think I would prefer this surgery to being without a toenail. thanks, scroungy. (love the name. lol)

9. I betcha that boy is using some words that his momma didn’t know he knew!!!
    Great find scroungy!!!

10. justsqueezit says:

Lost 1/2 a toe to chronic osteo, was quite happy with the results…. And it all started with an ingrown nail…

11. YIKES!!!
    I was shocked to see the “hook” from the ingrown nail was still on his nail when the Dr applied the bandage. Isn’t it the standard to remove only the section of the nail where it’s ingrown?
    Earlier this year I had my L thumbnail removed due to an infection under the nail that did not respond to antibiotics. I was awake during surgery. I had a nerve block and some happy juice. LOL I am sure glad my hand surgeon didn’t do that to my nail. Yes, the pain was unreal for 10-12 days, but then pain tapered off fairly quickly after that.

12. Gliss-Puss-Bliss says:

It does look a bit excessive. If I had reoccurring ingrown nails, I would have this procedure done, since it solves the problem of ingrown nails coming back and back and back…….
    Very interesting, thanks for the great find scroungy !

13. the infected says:

What the hell? I had chronic ingrown toenails when I was a kid, inherited them from my dad. When I went to the podiatrist he explained that every nail has three roots, one on each side. He removed the root on the side with the infection and that got rid of the problem. You can’t even tell the difference when you look at my feet. I can’t even imagine why it would occur to someone to cut away both sides of the toe instead.

14. Just watching the doc numb the toe was worse than what he did after.

15. I’ve had this surgery done on each of my big toes. It’s consistent and genetic in my family, and getting the whole nail out permanently saved me a lot of surgeries in the future. It does hurt fairly bad for a week. Worst pain though was I took a friend of mine to her grad party, she loves to dance and i didn’t have the heart to tell her i got this surgery done the day before, so I just danced the night away with her. To this day I haven’t told her because I didnt want her to feel bad.

16. I’ve never had an ingrown nail that lasted more than a couple of days since I would just grab a razor and a pair of pliers and rip it out. But IF I had one that lasted for longer and kept recurring, I think this would be the option I take.

17. Hey guys, I have an ingrown toenail fix for you…It’s called REMOVING YOUR ENTIRE TOE. Ugh, why can’t we just be friends and fix it with some nail clippers like we used to?

18. Wow…oh…wow. Gotta say though, he said he did the same procedure on the other big toe, and it looks great. Obviously the kid didn’t mind too much, since he’s back to get the other one done.

19. Not much makes me queasy. But my stomach is hurting after watching this video.. I thought I was desensitized to this sort of thing!!

20. What concerns me worse, is the DR. wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Never been to a Dr. office like that. Might say something about the surgery.