GRAPHIC**Carbuncle Excision**GRAPHIC

********* WARNING!!!!! GRAPHIC VIDEO! *********
Awesome Carbuncle Excision and Draining, But VERY GRAPHIC!
Sensitive Viewers Please Consider Carefully Before Watching!
As Always, Watch By Choice & Comment With Respect. Thanks!
********* WARNING!!!!! GRAPHIC VIDEO! *********

It took me half an hour to pick my jaw up off of the floor and compose myself enough to put the post together. This is not for anyone with a weak stomach or faint of heart!! The carbuncle on this gentleman’s back is gigantic. As you can see that it is already seeping before the doctor even touches it, and its only a week old!! You can also see other boils and or pimples on his back. The elliptical incision doc made is also huge. I hope the man was completely numb because the doctor really had to get rough to get the carbuncle all the way open. You can see that pus is coming from several different areas.

I hope this gentleman heals quickly and completely. Diabetes is an ugly thing. You know this one is gonna leave one heck of a mark!!

I hope you enjoy!!

YT Commentary:
This pt is a diabetic male with a uncontrolled diabetes presented to us with huge boil for one week . This Carbuncle was excised and a lot of pus was drained

‘Huge Abscess (Carbuncle) Drained’ Published on Jul 4, 2012 by krm2012

124 Comments on “GRAPHIC**Carbuncle Excision**GRAPHIC

1. Popthatpus says:

Wow… It takes a lot to make me queasy, but I think this one did it. That poor man… You can tell that he is in pain because sometimes when the doctor presses down on the area, he turns his head towards it. I can’t believe that something that large wasn’t handled under general anesthesia… You know it had to hurt just having it, so I can’t imagine how it felt with someone cutting into it!

1. LISA ANN LOWERY says:

I agree that this should have been done under general anesthesia. I am amazed at some of the procedures the medical profession will complete with just local anesthesia. At least at the dentist, you can get laughing gas. Hope this gentleman heals quickly.

1. I’m a physician and find little about this video disturbing. The only thing I have a little issue with is the use of h2o2 in this case. Surgeries for carbuncles and cellulitus can be brutal. I use ultrasound to try to get a better grasp of the situation before cutting, as sometimes these infections end up deeper than they present. As far as the doctor’s use of an elliptical Incision, that was the way to go. Initially, I thought his incision was a bit large, but it quickly proved to be a good decision. I think he examined the area using ultrasound prior to surgery. Just a note on medical videos, in general. Surgery is ugly. Some surgeons look like they are painting a masterpiece. Others look like they are whittling away with a pocket knife. Some doctors perform for the camera, in terms of minimizing scalpel work or keeping the wound irrigated. In educational videos, there is a lot of wound irrigation and suction so the viewer can have a better look at what’s going on. This is for the benefit of the viewer, not the doctor. If I was producing a carbuncle surgery video for mass distribution, I would try to find a fair-skinned young woman with a small infection area. I would artfully drape the surgical site and be prone to be a bit more conservative in my approach. I would also be more artful in my scalpel work – you would see my hands and fingers dance across the screen. I would keep the would irrigated and plan for how the drainage would be artfully be limited to the surgical site. No messes. That’s Hollywood surgery. In real life, it is about using best practices and experience. You don’t always have an experienced surgical RN assisting. Sometimes, it is an inexperienced unlicensed CNA, still a bit uncomfortable with large volumes of bodily fluids escaping wounds. Surgery is not always pretty. Even in a family practice setting, a minor surgery can result in a bloody mess that is shocking to the uninitiated. Even among experienced doctors, there are different approaches to similar problems. This is the stuff we talk about.. Sometimes, the research just doesn’t provide the answers to some questions that are pretty simple like, when should h2o2 be used on a surgical wound.

2. Sean – Thank you very much for your expert viewpoint, it is very welcome and appreciated. I love all the professional medical members we have in our community – it only adds to the rich diversity of knowledge available here at PTZ. I don’t think we have “met” previously, so let me say a hearty “Welcome!” and let me know if I can help with anything or answer any questions.

Keep On Poppin’!
        Site Administration

3. @Sean – please do post a video!!!! What a great job – removing these painful monsters and watching pus flow like water out of a fountain at times!

4. Sean, it’s interesting to hear you say that the elliptical incision was very large; it shows that you know so much that I don’t! I was looking at it and thinking “well shouldn’t he make it bigger so it encompasses ALL of the carbuncle?” But hopefully my non-medical opinion is correct when I say that doctor really could have used a second pair of hands in there to work the gauze!

2. I was thinking the same thing, It just looked like maybe something that big would be taken care of with general anesthesia, but it was very interesting to watch none the less, and it looked so infected and angry, also it seemed like they could squeeze for hours , and still not be done getting all that puss and blood out. But awesome find,

3. This looks like a third world style procedure, so I don’t know if general anesthesia would even be an option. Plus, for someone with major health problems, general anesthesia can be a huge risk. It’s a big risk for any patient but especially someone with already compromised systems. If he’s had uncontrolled diabetes for a long time his kidneys probably don’t work very well. Also, he may not have much sensation in his skin to begin with. Diabetic neuropathy is a common effect of uncontrolled diabetes.

4. Absolutely what I was thinking when the elipse came out and it was at least one inch thick. Leaving a gaping wound open like that requires vac treatment. I think it said the gentleman is diabetic? My heart goes out to him!

5. Poor thang!! Im no expert but by the angry looks of that abcess, its been cookin’ for quiet a while!!Hope the patient had STRONGF antibiotics and even STRONGER pain meds to get over this!! Please give an update if possible! Hope u r up and goin again!!:0)

6. I agree with you @Popthatpus. The carbuncle was a MONSTER in size and depth!!!! I would have demanded general anesthesia or I would have found another doctor. My neck hurts just thinking about this wound!!! Great find!

2. Great find Winnie. I could watch this over and over.
    MrsTeee

3. wow Winnie,what a find i’m dumbfounded on so many levels of how this Dr. attacked this infection.the pus seemed to be tunneled in several directions and that’s the largest elliptical incision i’ve seen on a back.but it’s way cool and gettin 5stars girlie.

1. I too was shocked at the approach. A carbuncle is a cluster of boils. If you have ever had one boil…can you imagine a mass of them coming to a head all at once. OMG I could not even imagine something this size on my body. I believe because the patient is an uncontrolled diabetic the doctor had to get as much infection out of him as quickly as possible. Diabetics are way different when it comes to wounds as regular patients are….things get out of control very quickly. I know from experience….I am a diabetic and have had numerous abscesses and surgeries since being diagnosed. Thank goodness I am controlled….meaning my blood sugar stays within normal range the majority of the time. In order to heal….blood sugar has to be below 150. If not…….best case scenario the wound won’t heal…worse case scenario the infection can continue to get worse…it can go into the blood and the patient will become septic…..that is deadly. So I really think he was trying to get as much infection as he could get out as quickly as possible…sometimes extraordinary measures have to be taken….the doctor probably felt it was better for the patient to feel a little pain now then be gone forever.

1. missconduct says:

I too am a diabetic, however I am insulin resistant, which leaves me uncontrolled. I have taken very good care of my skin, been careful to treat any knick or cut I may get. But after watching these videos of what can happen to people with diabetes, I have stepped up my overall health care big time. I hope and pray I never ever have to go through what any of these people have went through.
        Their recovery will be rough because of the diabetes.

2. I’m a new diabetic and this just terrified me. I’ve seen lots of diabetic debreeding vids… but this one… the pus just seem to keep flowing in from all directions. I think the doc would have been better off with suction or a kidney dish than with the cotton cloth to control the overflow.

3. Clean Cut, if you control your blood sugars you should be just fine. Don’t let this extreme situation get to you. Just think of it as motivation to monitor your blood sugars and take care of yourself.

4. Agree with snapcracklepop – this is a video of an extreme case. It you will notice the medical conditions were not those that we are used to in the western world or Britain. We keep praying that a cure to both Type I and Type II diabetes is discovered!!!

4. Did the patient take a number before the “doctor” got started? Because more than an operating room, this extraction looked like it was done in a butcher shop. Was it me, or did anyone think the doctor’s technique was particularly brutal?

Pound of ground round, coming right up!

1. yes Lou I thought the same thing about the Drs.rough approuch like we see in some of our Russian or eastern block countries.the gauze seemed tattered & he generously applied hyd peroxide.it seemed similar methods as i’ve watched on pilonidal cysts.I wish one of you experienced PTZers could explain to me the difference in pus vs sebum material,why does the infections,boils,bug bites seem to have a greenish yellow color and usually smelly discharge and the sebum a cheesey,white odorless appearance?i,ve wanted to ask you guys for so long (yrs) is there some rhime or reason to this madness people,anyone? I really am curious & by the way hello to you all I’ve been reading your posts for 3yrs now and find a nice blend of personalities,comedians and proffessionals its like Crosby,tills & Nash at Woodstock I’m scared s$@*less

1. I don’t know the difference, either, but I DO know a lot of pus when I see it! This vid showed more blood than pus, it seemed. I do know that pus can come in various colors, from pure white to yellow, & sometimes a light brown, which I’ve always figured was a combo of white pus & blood. I’m far from being an expert, though, so I think I’ll look up “sebum”. P.S. Hello to you, too, Mark! wb

2. This provider did not know what he was doing! I believe he thought by the size and the shape he was dealing with an infected sebaceous cyst instead of a carbuncle/ tunneling abscess. That huge hole was not necessary and he failed to break up all the surrounding rooms and tunnels of infection. I don’t think those “blackheads” shown at the beginning were true blackheads either. These types of infections “tunnel” out under the skin and can have many heads in the general area of the infection. @Mark…to do a very general job of answering your question…sebum is the natural oil produced by the skin. Everyone has it. A sebaceous cyst is formed when, instead of the skin cells naturally shedding off, they are caught under the skin and the body forms a sac around it to protect itself from the foreign matter. These sacs continue to fill with sebum and dead skin cells and slowly grow into big gnarly sebaceous cysts. A punctum is a little hole that often resembles a blackhead that attaches the cyst to the upper, outer layers of skin. Many people often mistake small cysts or cysts that don’t protrude, for blackheads. A Pilar Cyst is almost the same as a sebaceous cyst, except it is formed around a hair follicle and the waxy material that comes out is keratin(the stuff that makes up our hair and nails, in a soft form), not sebum. They generally don’t stink but dead skin and oil can get a stanky feet smell on occasion. Especially if the cystee is an active person. Sweat glands are virtually all over the body and are closely related to all the cyst action. The green smelly stuff happens when there is an infection involved. Sometimes the cyst walls or sac, will rupture causing the body to attack it. That’s where the runny pus and blood come from. Bug bites and abscesses by their very nature are infectious and there for are gonna look nastier than your average zit. Hope this helps.
        I love this site too. These people are hilarious! I happen to benefit from a background in esthetics so sometimes I notice something is miss identified, but it is so worth it anyway! I’m not going to nit pick on these wonderful people who literally make my day sometimes! :)

3. Hi Mark

Thank you for saying hi and no longer lurking around….the more the merrier here as you know. Welcome to the family we are very happy to have you here.

There is a wonderful page that some of our fearless leaders and wonderful members have put together to explain a various skin afflictions as well as some other terms that are used on the site.

Quick answer to the difference between pus and sebum:

Pus: a yellow-white, more or less viscid substance produced by suppuration and found in abscesses, sores, etc., consisting of a liquid plasma in which white blood cells are suspended. Not spelled PUSS!!

Sebum: the oily secretion of the sebaceous glands that acts as a lubricant for the hair and skin and provides some protection against bacteria

You can find all of this plus more under the popology 101 header at the top of the main page:

I hope this helps and again welcome…check out the forums and you may want to introduce yourself there :) Have a great day!!!

4. Yep @Mark ,
        I also think that the gauze used in the video were of poor quality!
        Like if they were cut in layer.
        Anyway,I cant seem to be able to explain myself correctly….so I hope you know what I mean!!! lol

But the video was awesome.Lots and lots of pus and that is something I happen to like ;)

You guys made some great comments,so I wont repeat what you already said.

Tnx Winnie…thats another winner for sure!Good job.

5. The gauze looked like he tried to cut it before use. That’s the only time it falls apart like that or leaves “lint” behind. You have to use gauze in the shape/size that it is packaged in. Especially that kind of loose gauze.

6. @Cyst Puncher – thanks for the explanations and in simple to understand terms!!

2. mrtasteless says:

That incision was irresponsibly large. The expression of the infection was also hapless… That poor fella… looks poor and with serious health problems. This butcher likely just made his life a lot worse – if he doesn’t out right kill him in the end.

5. zitfangirl says:

Holy Hannah! All I kept thinking though was “at LAST! Someone with enough sterile gauze on hand!” But it was a heavy handed incision I thought but what do I know?

6. Took me a while for my fingers to stop shaking so I could type… shudder…the man is lucky he didn’t wait any longer. I think this how diabetics lose limbs so easily-they just don’t feel pain until it’s almost too late. I pray he has family to help him get his condition under control.

7. I couldn’t make it through the video. Ugh. I feel for that man.

1. Dweedwaa says:

Me either and I turned my head as the doc was cutting the skin away.

8. prunesquallor says:

O.K. I think everything that needs saying has been said before me. I’m no expert, but that thing was in a class all it’s own. Super duper carbuncle? This is one thing I don’t really care to see live. I need a snack.

9. MOVE OVER BARNACLE BOY, THERE’S A NEW MAN IN TOWN! MANY PRAYERS FOR THAT GUY!

10. All I can say is Dayum. Looks like a strip mine.

11. diamondgirl says:

For this man to be a diabetic and the age he is, I would say at least 60, this must be a prison doctor or something. There is no pain meds given, hell, where is his IV? This is a 3rd world country or something…I can’t imagine a US doctor butchering like this…and where is his assistant? No one is helping him..Nope, something smells bad and it ain’t a carbunkle…

1. Amen girl,you,ve got great points to consider such as no assistant or nurse anywhere to be seen,we didn’t observe anything for pain control and the patient/prisoner had no freinds in the room,maybe they were the photographer? you got a great sense of humor girl,I love it.

12. Just in case you’re like me and still scratching your head about “Carbuncles”, let us turn to wikipedia:

A carbuncle ( /ˈkɑːbʌŋkəl/) is an abscess larger than a boil, usually with one or more openings draining pus onto the skin. It is usually caused by bacterial infection, most commonly Staphylococcus aureus. The infection is contagious and may spread to other areas of the body or other people. [1] Because the condition is contagious, family members may develop carbuncles at the same time.

1. Contagious? Thanks for letting us know! That is scary given the tremendous size.

13. The man must have been in decent health. Normallly the skin and tissue around and in an infection like that is usually badly deteriorated like tissue paper. The ellipitical skin removed looked to be thick and pliable. Dear Lord I hope he heals up without any complications!

14. That is one nasty staph infection. I can only imagine if he left it any longer, he would have gone septic. His back was flayed open! Winnie you are a goddess on this find!

15. unclelarry says:

WOW! That poor man. It goes without saying that diabetes is nothing to take lightly. That crater in his back will be difficult to heal because of it. Great find, Winnie. Fascinating video.

16. HOLY CRAPOLA

A local anaesthetic can only do so much, that MUST have hurt. It really needed to be done under a GA. A bottomless pit of pus. I’m a bit concerned about bits of cotton being left behind in that crater as the swabs were falling apart.
    Fascinating to see the various treatments provided all around the world.

1. unclelarry says:

I agree @medic8or. I was stunned to see peroxide being poured into an open wound like that.

2. Genacyst says:

I was just thinking the exact same thing. There isn’t enough lidocaine in the world to make something like tolerable.

1. Morphine maybe but not a topical numbing agent!

17. That’s going to leave a mark.

1. Yeah @Justis ,especially since the patient is a diabetic,I hope the healing part goes well….

18. the infected says:

Great. Now I have a visual for when I read the Canterbury Tales.

19. lennyg4362 says:

Good Lord!!! With all of that nasty infection inside f him, he HAD to be VERY sick with fever and pain! I bet they couldn’t have breathed on that thing without some good ol’ Lydicane/Novacane!!!

DANG….that one hurt ME!!

1. For a cut that deep, I hope he got some IV Valium to make him not care about the incision!

20. Sock Monkey says:

That’s going to leave a mark!

Thanks, Winnie!

21. justsqueezit says:

Seems like a straight line incision would be so much more efficient without leaving a gaping wound that will take even longer to heal. Poor guy will need lots of help packing that one till it fills back in.

1. I don’t think they could have removed all of the diseased tissue with a straight line incision. I don’t like elipses either – looks too barbaric given an age of arthroscopic incisions and surgeries!

2. In this case I mosdef agree with you @justsqueezit !
      Especially because the patient was (is) diabetic!!! You should try to leave THE smallest wound possible,right?

You are so right abt the packing thing…what a bi***.
      Elliptical cut are good,and often the norm…but not in that case.

22. Good God Gertie, What a Gash!!! But, if he hadn’t made that huge incision the doc may not have got all the infection out!!! That thing is going to need to drain for a loooong time!!!
    Classic find Winnie!!!

1. I was thinking the same thing. I was initially shocked at the size of the incision but after seeing the inside it made more sense. It’s going to have to be packed and left open like that if it’s going to have any chance of healing. There’s going to be a lot more drainage before that thing is under control. I hope they can manage his blood glucose levels enough to let his body have a chance at healing.

23. I’m not a doctor but don’t diabetics take a long time to heal too. won’ t that huge hole take forever to close and in turn risk getting infected all over again. Holy cow that just looked…brutal. There’s no other way to say it. I hope he’s ok.

1. Hi Lab

Yes the wound will take a very long time to heal. I do believe the doctor planned it that way…..its going to have to drain for a very long time in order for the infection to go away completely. If he would have made a straight punch incision it could have closed way too soon leaving infection to grow into what could be something even bigger and worse than the one the gentleman has.

2. I thought the same thing…seemed brutal. Too big a chunk taken out, too little anesthesia.

3. justsqueezit says:

Diabetics do take longer to heal, and have a harder time with generating new tissue; scar tissue is never as good as the original. As far as draining, packing a smaller wound would still allow for drainage and have much less risks of further complications. I wonder if they have public health nurses there to do home visits? Anyone know?

24. I’m not a swearing sort of person but I let a few drop. All newly diagnosed diabetics should be shown this. If this doesn’t make them see that it’s not something to take lightly, as many do, then there is no hope!

For the first time, I’m left speechless! I can always run my mouth, but this time…….. I .. Um … That …. Er … Yep, that was a great find Winnie! You go girl!!!

1. Lovin Squeezn Mama says:

You took the words out of my own mouth, cysters….*gulp*…wow….

That was not a chunk, that was a cutlet!
      Yep, great find Winnie. This was my first in nearly a week of being away, and boy, did that one shock me…wow…I am awake now. .I might be done for the day.

26. I was thinking perhaps the DR needed a pumper truck (like used on portable toilets )to suck all that nastyness out.
    Thanks for the post!

27. That was one of the most bloodiest, pus filled, graphic videos I have seen on this site… IT ROCKED! I LOVED IT! YOU ROCK WINNIE!!!!!!!!!

28. Gliss-PussBliss says:

That was a big incision. That was a big Carbuncle too!!

Nice Find!!

29. Poprocks says:

Unbelievable find, Winnie!

Was his skin very thick or was that other layers I was seeing?

1. Almost looked like he was getting to epimysium (deep tissue fascia.)

30. extreme fun,a treat :)

31. GOOD LORD, that is all

32. yankeedoodlepus says:

I wish for the patient he could have been knocked out. The size of that hole was like……a gaping canyon. I hope the patient can and does get the diabetes under control. It is a terrible disease no one should face.

33. MonsterMan says:

When I was a kid, my mother used to refer to certain people as “festering carbuncles.” Because she often used it in reference to my daddy’s brother, Gene, who smelled kind of funny, I presumed it had something to do with actual uncles. I guess I learnt different today.

1. you really made me laugh out loud,your mother must have grown up during “the wonder years” or “happy days” cause that was a gut buster that came out at the perfect time.

34. pimplitis says:

Great stuff, I’m in love!

35. Superb find as ever Winnie. And thanks for explaining what a carbuncle is, I was gonna ask.

36. Genacyst says:

Wow, wow, wow. There must have been a long time of pain coming with the development of this bump. All of the cutting and pressure must have been so terrible. There isn’t enough lidocaine or novacaine that can go into this to make it comfortable. If he’s lucky (?) maybe neropathy in this bump and the surround has softened the blow before this. It’s amazing what people can tolerate when health care is difficult to get.

From an anatomical point of view, the structure of that mass is so dense it looks more like it’s built-in than something that grew. The capsules are so tiny and the mass is so hard it looks to me like it has become more of a tumor than a carbuncle. The doc was able to express some of the infection, but drying it out with the peroxide really revealed how strange this bump is.

Did you notice how little blood there was? The blood supply through this thing looks terrible. It’s going to be very hard to heal it well. I wonder if the doc will have to dig all of this out to get to a blood supply necessary to heal this.

I think the option of keeping it open and packing it with the 4″x4″ soaked in iodine is probably the best he could do at this stage. It gives drainage to the infection that dwelling in there while keeping the wound open so it can be looked at again after it has had time to rest. All of the pressure the doc used obviously caused inflammation so there isn’t a short-term satisfaction possible on the first go at it.

Once the wound is cleaned out and down to healthy sub-dermis and muscle the bump should be small enough to stitch closed. Then it’s up to managing the diabetes vs healing.

This poor fellow. I hope he’s found a tolerable life while it heals. The heat, humidity, insects, bacteria, and communicable disease is so many more strikes against him. He’s in my prayers to be sure. As is the doc.

37. I think there is a whole lot more pus in there. Instead of using that cheap, thready, gauze, they could have used a suction machine to suck up that drainage. I often wondered why docs don’t use suction when dealing with large amounts of goopy, smelly, messy, drainage. A wound vac can close up that wound nicely, but first, they got to find out where the rest of the pus is hiding and provide an outlet for it. Any thoughts on my observations? I’d really like to hear them.

1. sorry i’m a little slow today,but yeah I for one have always liked the different suction techniques to bust open pus pockets and keep a steady vacuum applied,I even watched one once where they used a breast pump usually used to keep milk in on a boil and I thought it made great sense.I read most of the comments but can only answer a few,so hang in there buddy your being heard even when you don’t get any responses

2. justsqueezit says:

Have heard/seen that the wound vacs do wonders for healing when applied, but it leaves the patient in the hospital and immobile, as well as the horrible expense. This seemed like a third world country, and supplies and money might be in short supply?

1. Wound vacs are great, but I don’t know how big of an area they can handle. Plus with this guy’s diabetes and resulting skin issues I don’t know how well he’d tolerate it. I was thinking third world country too– the gauze looks like the doc tried to cut it, which just makes it a pile of thread, and there was no one around assisting. Plus you don’t usually see docs in the US pouring hydrogen peroxide into open wounds.

2. I think we all have to remember…this patient is from a very poor country. Health care is scare and expensive. I agree that a wound vac would have been wonderful for this patient. I have experienced wound vacs….between back surgeries 4 & 5 my 14 inch wound was left open and a wound vac was placed. They are wonderful gadgets but quite painful. They can cover larger areas as long as there is the sticky clear plastic big enough to cover them to allow the suction to take place. You have to be kept hospitalized because if they loste suction and are not fixed within 2 hours you have to have it removed in the operating room….you wound has to be re-cleaned (OR style) and then the device once again can be placed. They have to be changed every 72 hours and the wound cleaned. They are temperamental and extremely painful. Removed 500 ccs of fluid each day from my spine most of which was infection. It was amazing.
        This man may have refused a “surgical procedure” because he may be the only one who works to feed his family. Sad but true we know this happens at times. I don’t think they have insurances like we do to help us along if and when we get sick. I pray that this man is receiving proper medical care. I would love to know the back story of this video and wish we would learn the outcome but as with the majority of our videos we can only guess what happened.

38. had to return

39. I just kept saying “wow…wow…wwwoooooooowwwww” watching this thing. I feel bad for the patient, but I enjoyed watching it.

40. Not a surgical nurse, but I would imagine the depth of tissue incision meant that this patient was feeling lots of pain. Why the elliptical incision in the first place? Remind me not to have this problem anywhere near that doctor.

41. Renee Roland says:

That thing was wayyyy wider and deeper and had soooo many caverns. I think he should have cut at least two more places open and possibly under full anesthesia and perform a complete surgery. That covered at least half of his back if it was that elevated in the middle and I agree with you guys, those black heads way out there are other parts of the carbuncle trying emerge. That was a half-assed job; caverns can go several inches down and the entire back could’ve been full of vein like pus filled lines all throughout. I’ve seen them eat an entire limb. I pray this guy goes to a diff dr and gets proper excavation. Well, I got my “zit porn” fix for the day in one video! whooooo hoooooo Who luz ya, zit n gore luvers? Me dat’s who, my peeps!

42. Michelle says:

I agree with the others that can’t believe this was done without general anesthesia or atleast a block! He is a diabetic patient and this is so dangerous for him. This was either done at home by someone who thought they had seen enough proceedures to do it. A REAL MD would have NEVER used that razor instrument to cut, and he would have NEVER USED A RAG THAT LEFT LINT!!! And he would have used a saline flush, NOT peroxide that should be used for debridement. Diabetics don’t heal quickly or easily. For them to pour peroxide on it not only killed bacteria but it also kills good cells! An md wouldn’t have cut that large of an elipse either, because, again, of his diabetes! I hope this poor man is okay!

43. i think maggot therapy would have been beneficial. they only eat dead tissue, and as far as debridement goes, they are more conservative in the amount of tissue that gets removed. the accessory boils were coming from the nearby infection, but would probably clear up on their own as the other area was treated. this was apparently a staph infection of some sort.

44. GetItGetItGetIt says:

My teeth were clenched, my mouth went dry, and I almost cried at this one. Delete this post if you want, but “Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a STICK” is all I could say while watching this!

1. My fave has always been, “Jesus H. Christ on a Popsicle stick!”

45. crazy4cyst says:

massive great post

46. Don’t stop squeezing it. Let it flow.

47. comedoness says:

Yoicks!!! =:-O That pus was so deep down into the tissue. I hope that he is healing.

48. I couldn’t watch the whole thing. When I was a teenager, I had really bad acne. I didn’t get zits, i got boils. And once, I developed a carbunkle on my back. I remember asking my parents to let me out of the car to walk to the emergency room because even the mildest bump in the road was pure agony on my back.
    When the doctor lanced it. I almost screamed but as the pus was excised, it was funky. All in all, I wouldn’t say it was the worst experience of my life, I’ve been to war. But it was easily in the top ten.

1. Wow Taka, it sounds like you had some horrendous experiences with acne when you were younger and I do hope that it is better now. Thank you for service in the Military and to the country. Thank you for sharing. You are appreciated!!

49. Being a diabetic I am aware of what an infection like this can do to even a healthy person, much less an immune-compromised one.

I do understand that getting this thing drained was not optional but I strongly believe that the massive wound defect left by what appeared to me to be arbitrary cutting will, in of itself, pose a huge healing problem and tax an already maxed-out immune system to it’s limit and possibly beyond.

I am no physician but I would personally have opted for several smaller drainage slits over the area, with extensive probing to break up located areas and perhaps some medicated Even if no general anestesia is available, this doctor did not appear to do a proper field block as I only saw fresh blood specks from the needle on one side of the wound area.

Hope this gentleman is ok. :(

1. I too am a Type 1 diabetic and I agree totally with you Avie. That huge hole is going to take a really long time to heal if it does in fact completely heal! I had a diabetic foot ulcer a couple of years ago because the top of my foot became sweaty while walking my dog for a half hour. I woke the next morning to a gaping wound and ended up wearing one of those fancy walking cast and being taken off work for a month! People dont realize how hard diabetes is on your body even if yours is under control…..mine is not…Im on a pump with glucose monitor to show my sugar every 5 mins and I watch everything I put in my mouth and its still uncontrolled!

1. My diabetes has been under ” tight” control since I was diagnosed 10 years ago. My A1c’s are in the 6′s. Still, a few summers back I committed a huge no-no sin and rode my horse in shorts. In less than 15 min I had a dime-sized red mark on my lower leg. I got down right away, put my horse up and cleaned the rub.

Despite the tight control, seemingly negligible wound and immediate care of it, the stupid thing got infected and too almost 4 months to heal!

We are indeed very different from non-diabetic people. I still want to strangle whomever it was that cut such a massive chunk out of that mans back. Third-world country or not; short on medical supplies or not…does not matter. Common sense is free.

50. …medicated packing…

51. This is quasimodo in action, while the doc excises the pus lake.

Just, why didn’t he use a bilge pump to suck it empty? I think the volume would have warranted it.

52. sabeth17 says:

I was waiting for the doctor to pull back the green stuff to see if the eye was blue or brown!!!!

53. OMG! What an angry mess. This poor person will surly need some kind of plastic surgery to fill that hole. Was a hole that big necessary? Just wondering.

54. I think that Dr. did not have too much of a CLUE as how to take care of this carbunkle, gut and gouge, cut and gouge, I think the patient will be in a lot of pain after this excorsism, the gauze had fibers all over every where. I feel sorry for the man, hope it does not get worse with this botchery!

55. Yikes! Hopefully he was on prophylactic IV antibiotics and some pain meds were added into the mix! I can’t imagine a diabetic with THAT amount of infection would be considered an “outpatient procedure.” I hope they at least kept him overnight to keep an eye on him. I admit that I had to look away when they removed the elliptical-shaped piece of tissue… totally grossed me out… yet I’ve watched hundreds of videos with no problem. Anyhow, great quality vid, great post, and home the gentlemen made it out okay!

56. And peroxide… DUMB! Should only be used to debride truly “dirty” wounds and not on large areas or in open cavities like that. Sterile saline rinse, please!?

57. Let Me Pop It says:

Ouch Ouch and Ouch!!! I am a pretty hard core pop watcher and this one made my back tingle a little. Poor guy. I sure hope that heals without problems. That was a mighty big hole they dug out. God bless you man.

58. I am rarely upset by what I see here, but this scared me for the fellow, often you think ok that will be healed up in no time or you pray that soon a cure will be found for someone. This chilled me to the bone. I truly hope never to be in that situation with that scarcity of medical care!!
    Um Seriously, that big of a hole? It’s going to take forever to heal especially because he is diabetic! Seemed total butchery to me. I agree that several smaller incisions might have made more sense, but I also admit I am not a doctor. I just think there were some irregularities in the care, covered by many of you above, and I truly hope the gentleman has/is healing and/or is already ok. What a truly awful condition! One hopes that massive antibiotics and decent care got him through.
    My prayers go out to him.

59. Sweet Squeezer says:

Ok, I confess… I wasn’t able to watch this one. I’d scroll up and peek–scroll down.. wait.. .peek.. EEEEEKKK!! I’ll now retreat to the lovely blackhead section!

60. evil zitlover says:

very nice

61. javery31372 says:

I never ever get sick at any of these videos i USUALLY drool but… OMG!! I got so sick to the stomach I had to go lie down.

62. What’s the difference between a carbuncle and an abscess? –

63. 1st time i have seen 1 of those

64. I think cutting a hole that big was not necessary.

65. Taffitabing says:

I think that Dr. was a total butcher, did not seem to have a grasp on what needed to be done. Am so glad that is not my Dr. he or she is too barbaric!!

66. SoulCysterr says:

i would’ve turned him on his side and kept squeezing so it would drain out, instead of wiping and mopping it up.

67. Brigette Bertelson says:

Excellent! All that pus! There are times where I wish that I could have something like that, but then again, I wouldn’t want the pain either.

68. Goodness gracious! I too am immune compromised because of taking a medication for RA. It’s weird, because once you get several infections, you don’t freak out, but just deal with it. THis poor gentleman must have been in a great deal of pain. I would hope that he at least got decent pain medications after the fact. I wish him the best of luck. And to those of you who deal with TYPE 1 diabetes, you have my most sincere support.

69. princesspustule says:

This doc is also asking for trouble with gauze that has been cut with scissors like that. I don’t know if he was trying to save a buck but in the long run that can cause big bucks in problems with severe open wounds like that. it looked like a confetti mess.

70. cystersofmercy says:

Urk, gives an error cannot play in embedded players. As a diabetic, I’d really like to see this one to scare the crap out of myself with. :(