Pan Sinusitis: Tenacious Ropes of Infected Snot

this is a cas of pan sinusitis, the pathogen being staph aureus. it was apparently sensitive to several antibiotics but because she was so obstructed with polyps and gunk (*Official* Medical Gunk, or OMG), the antibiotics didn’t have a chance.

starting around the 1:09 mark, we are treated to what can only be called tenacious ropes of infected snot. the stuff seems alive, and not willing to disappear without a fierce game of tug o’ n war with a suction cannula.

noted on YouTube: “Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Shaving sinus and sinus polyps, Draining sinuses,Obstructed blocked sinus relief, correction deviated nasal septum, endoscopic septoplasty, Dr. B. Todd Schaeffer” [of New York]; uploaded by NoseMD on 12/13/2009

[while this is NOT the illustrious Dr. J, NoseMD was surely inspired by his legend, so i did tag this as a “Dr. J” category for search purposes]

34 Comments on “Pan Sinusitis: Tenacious Ropes of Infected Snot

1. EXCELLENT! It had polyps, mucous, infection, and all that jazz! Loved it. 5 stars from me!

1. Lol … I loved the “tug-of-war” comment… So apropos.

This poor fella has got to be breathing and feeling better.

2. that nose is a mess! I would have recommended a new nose.

1. This was one video that actually made we wince…when they started to cut the cartilige I had to look away. I had the first sinus surgery done and had similar issues….hard to look at this and think: this person was like me! The pain was AWFUL.

3. BastardLoveChild says:

I love how NoseMD always starts out with “hi or “hello”. I think it’s worse that I always say “hi” back.

4. Ugh! That must be awful to have all those boogers stuck in there! I once had 2 giant blood clots stuck in my nose and when I finally blew them out it felt like heaven! Feel better, guy!

5. I have the hardest time figuring out what is what in these vids…I am waiting for an eyeball to be accidentally sucked out thru the snout.

6. Very interesting. I never knew what existed inside my head (obviously my brain is not taking up much space).

7. infundibulum says:

BLC, at the end of Dr. Janakiram’s videos, when he says, “Thank you.” I say, “No, thank YOU Dr. J!”

8. I played it with the sound off. At a certain point, I kept thinking of Captain Kirk saying “we need more suction, Scotty!!” and Scotty saying “I’m giving it all I have Cap’n, any more, and I’ll pull out his brains!”.

1. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

9. I want one of those metal tools Dr J et al use. I have serious drainage problems with my kitchen sink and my snake just isn’t cutting it. I imagine I send that thing down there and it’d chew it right out. I’m sure they’re reasonably priced, too…

1. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. That was totally AWESOME!!! How could ANY PTZ follower rate that anything less than a 5 star??!! I’m ashamed of some of you!! :-)

11. that was some thick snot
    imagine-must feel like you just had the best blow yer nose of your life

12. When you’re with your honey & his nose is runny.
    Don’t think it’s funny cause it’s snot!!!!

13. Man….I so missed my calling. I am so facinated by this.

14. Ever since I started coming here, I have bad dreams about that roto-rooter tool thing…lol….Wow…! this person must’ve felt sooo much better once they healed! I’ve been blessed and only have had one sinus infection. It took months to go away with antibiotics, so I can feel for anyone going through that mess.

15. I love nose mucus!!!!!! heheheheheheheheheh

Ahhhhh ……………….the relief !

17. I don’t think that mucus could ever be sneezed out. I reminded me of pulling salt water taffy. What a relief to have the polyp and mucus remove.

18. phillip jackson says:

man that was nasty.

19. bighandsbigzits says:

May not be Dr. J but I’s a lovin’ the snot.

20. the other cyster says:

a co worker of mine had something similar and afterwards she said that she would never have had it done had she known what she would have to endure. apparently, the results were, in her opinion, not worth the pain and agony of the surgery. she said that while she was able to blow and breathe better afterwards, she experienced pain for weeks afterwards and occasionally as well. i guess ifyou can’t breath or have chronic infections, it would be an option i would consider doing as i don’t allow others to color my decisions. this guy looks like he will have some discomfort after all the work in that space but hopefully will be worth it for him in the long run.

1. I’ve had this procedure done twice now after years of chronic sinus infections. Your co worker was right, the other cyster, at least in my experience. It’s very painful before & after the operation just in different ways. The relief is not instant just like any open wound as it heals & you can breathe through your nose again until the swelling recedes (inside & out-I looked like someone had punched me in the face!). Only difference is I’d have it done again because the end result was worth it-no more infections & I could breathe through my nose! It’s been 5 years since it was last done & will probably have to have done again as the old symptoms are slowly coming back. But there are much worse things in life you can get so I’m just glad I have an excellent ENT surgeon. Thanks for the post Pita!

1. You poor thing!!! Don’t they give you pain medicine to deal with the pain? I would be DEMANDING dilaudid to address the pain – that isn’t humane. I have the same feelings about my hysterectomy – I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone but it was a relief to not have to deal with a period but I thought I would die when I woke up from surgery.

I hope things go better for you with the upcoming surgery! God Bless.

21. thedixiecrystal says:

Whoa! I love this one! I have never seen snot look like rubber string. You know that had to feel better when all that gunk was out.

1. Agree 100% – not sure how they were able to breathe at all.

22. Thanks so much for sharing, Pita, and thanks to our wonderful leaders for bringing this back. I enjoy imagining how much better this person feels after having all that gunk dug out.

23. That reminds me of the rubber cement that you get cards stuck in magazines. Total dried rubber cement. I truly hope this person feels relief from the surgery after the recovery period.

24. lay off the dairy

25. This stuff on a handkerchief – the volume and consistency would have been epic, on scale with “The Biggest Booger”.

26. I cannot get the image of the Ghostbuster’s river of slime out of my head- that is what these mucus polyps looked like to me as they fought to remain in the nose!