Watch this video in a new windowLancing an Abcess – Gallons of Pus

It’s raining, It’s pouring….”are you going to put this on You Tube”…lol

45 Comments on “Watch this video in a new windowLancing an Abcess – Gallons of Pus

1. Wow it just keeps pouring out!!

2. Jesus God Almighty! I hope that first burst hit that prick with the jabbing knife right in the face. And I was hoping she would kick him that first time he came up to press on the abscess.

3. What a jerkoff not only does he just stab it someone kicks the poor thing!!

4. OMG, what a ziting hoosier! I can’t believe how he stabbed that cow. Did you see the dirt the cows were standing in? He did not even bother to put a bucket so the Pus could go into there. The cow was literally standing in it. What a ziting prick! Now I remember again, why I don’t eat cows….

5. He is a horrible man. He is the type that kicks dogs and urges cats to fight. People who know video better than I. Is it possible for the right people to see him and he get in trouble? Karma will come around.

6. Squeezeit, what’s wrong with being a hoosier?? People from Indiana might take that criticism personally.

7. Cheesehead says:

It didn’t seem to me that the videographer was kicking the cow, but pressing his foot against the swollen part to see if it would come out faster. I did take offense to the cutter wiping his knife off on the cow’s leg. But at least they opened the sore and let it drain, they could have just let the poor cow suffer. My reasoning anyway.

8. That is a dairy cow….your milk, cream and butter comes from them.

That prick put his foot up there to press on the abcess…I was waiting for her to kick him. Hoping, actually.

9. Swedishpusycat says:

i agree with all of u.. poor animal, it really looked like it suffered.. good thing it got drained, but seems they waited too long.. and stabbing it with a knife barely sharp enough to pierce the skin.. and the guy touching the abcess with his foot.. it’s just awful!! i agree with motherE.. and i HOPE karma will kick his face off, since the sweet cow didn’t..

didn’t the other cow had like a cut or something on its leg too? awful either way.. :(

10. I ditto Squeezit’s comment. All of the words were appropriate except maybe the Hoosiers part.

11. Before he stabs the cow, you can see a faint red scar that’s just above the place the knife goes in this time. This is not the first time the cow had abscessed in that hip. I think they do barely what’s required by law to keep animals ‘healthy’ while they raise them for human use. It’s not very pleasant at all if you get a glimpse behind the curtain.

lil z

12. well, the guy probably should have hired a vet to take care of this, using a sharp blade to cut the hide it much better than stabbing it with a dull knife.
    A vet would have used a finger or some sort of an instrument to break up the loculations (sp) fiber, pull out the hard gunk and get the rest of the cyst out, it will return fast because he did not do it right.
    And then he suggested that the cow shoild lay down on the dirt to help drain it, and he didnt use any topical med’s to help with infection

13. I would love to complain about this just like everyone else is but because I eat meat I feel as though I have no right to say anything about it.

14. slider1964 says:

What an idiot ! He’s draining all that bad bacteria on the ground for all the other cows to walk around in , not to mention the people there!!! Not the way to do that!!!

15. I have to agree with everything that’s been pointed out as wrong in this vid – no antiseptic, a dull knife stab in the middle of the abcess rather than a small incision and a drainage tube near the bottom with a bucket. That poor cow is going to have a lot more scars before these knuckle draggers are done with her – if she lives (that’s a dairy cow, not a beef cow)

16. jaybluejay says:

My 2 cents. The rule on an abscess is this: You only see half the abscess. Whatever is protruding is half, the same amount is on the inside. This poor baby girl is in pain. I see the ‘guy’ with the knife has a jump suite of some sort on. I hope he is not a vet. He should know better than to let the infection spill on the ground where all the other farm animals are going to be exposed to the bacteria. Also look at the band on the cow next to this poor girl…they use these bands for various reasons such as to mark sickness and dispose of milk. This operation needs investigation.

17. Have any of you commentators ever:

1) Set foot on a large commercial dairy?
    2) Cared for farm animals yourself?
    3) Lanced an abscess on a large animal?
    4) Had any training in medical care for large animals?
    5) Ran a commercial farming operation?
    6) Have ANY qualifications to comment on the care of this animal or the expertise of the person administering the care?

18. pussnstuff says:

These holstein’s have been removed from the herd for treatment. They will rejoin the herd when they test free of antibiotics. They don’t want that in the milk supply for human consumption. These aren’t considered pets & a vet isn’t on the payroll. Sometimes a vet is called for a difficult birth but most just hook up a chain to the tractor & pull!! This dying breed know what they’re doing. The cattle he was treating were clean & that area of the barn is used for treatment. They don’t live in it.

19. I agree with what Bluesky is getting at.

I grew up in a very large city and always had a preconcieved idea of how things were in rural areas. Then when I was about 27 I moved to a rural area and lived there for about 15 years. I began to see that we thought about how things were in the country was far removed from reality. I learned that until I have a 100 percent understanding of how things are in an enviroment I have never experience I cannot pass judgement.

People that never venture out of the city are just way too narrowminded in their thinking. When it comes to things like this.

20. Really? So because I’ve grown up in a mid-sized city means I comment on filth and animal abuse? Because this is how “factory farming” is conducted and I’m just a clueless city girl?

21. jaybluejay says:

Bluesky you make a good point, to answer your questions. 1. yes, 2. yes, 3. yes, 4. yes, 5. yes, 6. yes. I was raised on a farm and what ended up on our table was what we raised and butchered. Perhaps this topic is so heated because when some moron has a sucking chest wound we can say ‘that’s what you get for not going to the doctor, wait another 2 days ding bat.’ But with animals we are their stewards and they provide us with products and we supply food, shelter, and care. As for puffnstuffs comments please check your facts, the veterinarian I assisted for 15 years was in fact on the payroll at a large dairy farm for, infection, birth, twisted stomachs, pregnancy checks, fertility, etc. and they did live in the barn. Good night.

22. jaybluejay says:

Sorry bluesky 5. No. Never ran commercial operation.

23. cowman1970 says:

You really know nothing about farming do you? You don’t see what the situation was prior to the lancing and the welfare of the animal afterwards. Next time shut your trap and ask questions before your mouth opens and zit flies out of it.

24. ok THAT made me sick….usually it doesn’t but it did this time

blech

25. uhm yes catmom, you are correct. If you lived in a rural area like I do then you would understand that these people care more for these animals than you do and they also care more for the enviroment than you ever could. You have no clue what life is like outside of your city other than what you hear and see on you TV. Just by you using the term “factory farming” tells me that you think the world of PETA and you more than likely think that as humans we were never ever meant to eat meat and that we should stop hunting and fishing. If this is really who and what you believe I ask you to just stop for a moment and catalogue every single item you own and ask yourself does it contain any animal products? If so you’re just another PETA hypicrite……..

26. oh, and I meant to start out by saying “yes catmom, you are correct in saying you’re a mindless city girl”

27. Squeezie Queen says:

Okay, my two cents.

Whatever anyone thinks about commercial farming, that damn abscess was NOT lanced correctly. That thing will form again. The rivers of pus running under the animal make me wonder if that can possibly lead to hoof infections. Hence people/vets using buckets, and concrete flooring so they can hose it down. I’ve grown up around rural areas and my mother grew up on a small farm. I’m not crazy about the commercial farming business because of oversights on animal welfare. And I have other personal beliefs as to why small farming ops are better. Either way, in my humble opinion, I don’t believe the animal was getting the best of care. I think jaybluejay said it best. (And no I’m not a vegi, just an omnivore that still want’s the best for our animals whether they be pets or raised for consumption.) Peace dudes.

28. pussnstuff says:

nope, no vet on a payroll at a small dairy farm, where they have acres upon acres to roam. The milk parlor is kept spotless & always passes inspection.

29. My dad was a dairyman in fla. He pulled calfs admni. antibiotics was a fairer, took care of the “easy” stuff. Vets were called in only when necessary. That wasn’t very often. Don’t get me wrong they considered a good milk cow priceless and they were taken care of most of it didn’t look good, and thats the truth. What concerns me is the 3′ of crap on the floor. as I recall, the barns were sprayed out continuously. If that cow or anyothers had an open area around their hoof, to wade in the pus, well, there ya go. He was wrong not to catch that drainage and dispose of it. Also, wrong not to keep the floor as clean as possible.

30. sikntwizted says:

Ive lived on and been around dairy farms all my life if he had on gloves then he probably sterlized the knife. My dad used his pocket knife for everything including bull castration,hog rooting (when you slice there snout so they don’t root) and things like this he would just either soak it in alcahol or boil it for 30 min. Animals are tougher than you think.

31. sikntwizted says:

Also people could understand how much it would cost for a vet your lookin at $500 to $1000 to do the same thing. In this screwed up economy small farms cant afford that.

32. Well, here is my penny of thought…I think the girl was in pain, but having that large of a cyst was most likely causing quite a bit of pain itself. Animals are resilient and I just hope she recovers for the better. By the way, Blue…..thanks for having our back….I am a Hoosier so I appreciate your comment, although I am not at all sure it was meant as a dig toward people who reside in Indiana…at least I hope not.

33. I too appreciate those sticking up for us Hoosiers, for what I hope is an obvious reason… :)

34. snapcracklepop says:

I felt bad for the big girl for having such a huge abscess but she didn’t look like she was in much pain. I think they probably starting filming after at least one attempt to open the abscess and that was what looked like an old, pink scar. Oh, and for the record, I grew up in a rural town with a lot of dairy farms around. I had a summer job mucking out stables. They are not going to let those cows stand around in that stuff– it will be cleaned out. I’m sure she’s on antibiotics and like someone above said won’t be back in the milking line up until they clear her system. I’m a dairy and meat eater and I’m fine with it. There’s a reason milk is pasteurized and meat is cooked. Get well soon, big girl!

35. lennyg4362 says:

Another fool misake by this IDIOT!!! The incision, or in this case, “STABBING”,should have been made lower on the abscess! Let good ol’ gravity be your friend dumb ass!! The guy left a TON of infection still in there!

36. acyst_the_cyst says:

people suck so much sometimes, there was no incision it was more like a cow being shanked. good pus though (cow didnt seem to mind.) instead of going to bed to sounds of the rainforest it should be to the sounds of the abscess waterfall including crap falling in the distance…. soothing isn’t it??? lol

37. xoSunshineAngelxo says:

I hope that guy gets a big ol’ sebaceous cyst on the back of his neck or back and his wife remembers his technique for “lancing” the cyst and she stabs him to open it up…..maybe then he’ll have some empathy for the way he lanced that poor cow’s abcess. Just my opinion

38. Stupid comment from someone who knows nothing about the situation. Hell, I even took this cow out for ice cream and a game of miniature golf afterwards because I was soooo mean and soooo cruel for taking care of her serious problem…..

39. It wasn’t a stabbing you dumb zit! The soft spot developed where it did and that is where they are to be lanced!

40. That man was helping the cow…animals can be quite unpredictable at times hence the man using his foot to push more of the puss out….that was most def not a kick. That cow is now relieved and happy!

41. ..this was obviously a very effective method, but stabbing the cow just doesn’t seem very nice, haha.

42. By the way, I mean that in a light hearted way. I know he was helping the cow, I just have a weird sense of humor and found it funny.

43. infundibulum says:

From cowman1970 — “The cow was never in a bad state. The abscess is best lanced when it is ready. There wasn’t any risk of reinfection. The abscess should only be lanced when the soft spot develops otherwise complications can occur. The knife was sterilized.”
    Follow-up on cow: “The really good news: She went up 25 lbs of milk, she was declared pregnant 12 days after, and most importantly she didn’t need any follow up care. She drained and healed on her own without having to be treated with antibiotics. She will turn 5 years old the end of October. For those of you who are interested in her genetics: She is a daughter of 11H5183 Timlynn Adam from a 7H5375 Bw Marshall dam. She is pregnant to 11H8195 Baxter. She is in her third lactation.”

44. coming out like a naked cupid statue my god that was a draining out alot great find bunches_of_daisys smooches hugs and audie bear loves :)

45. dangerouslesions says:

Just my three cents, was that the strawberry milk udder?